Zainab Masood has joined as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Victoria, Canada (UVic) where she is researching Diversity and Inclusion in Software Engineering, and requirements management in DevOps. Previously, she worked as a Professional Teaching Fellow in the Department of Electrical, Computer, and Software Engineering at the University of Auckland (UOA) in New Zealand and taught software engineering courses Agile and Lean Software Development and Software Requirements Engineering.
She graduated with a Bachelor of Software Engineering from Fatima Jinnah University, Pakistan, in 2005. Thereafter, she worked in various software companies for around 10 years under different roles such as Software Tester, Software Quality Assurance Engineer, and Software Quality Analyst. Then, in 2013 she obtained a Master’s degree at the UOA where she was introduced to Agile software development. She started her PhD under the supervision of Dr Rashina Hoda and Dr Kelly Blincoe in November 2016 at the UOA. Her PhD dissertation focused on self-assignment, a task allocation practice in Agile Software Development teams. She conducted research on various topics in industrial and academic settings while being part of research groups (SEPTA and HASEL) at the UOA. Her research interests mainly include software development methodologies and practices, human aspects of software engineering, diversity and inclusion in tech, and empirical software engineering.
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, and Kelly Blincoe, Real World Scrum A Grounded Theory of Variations in Practice In IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 2020 [doi.org/10.1109/TSE.2020.3025317]
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, and Kelly Blincoe, How agile teams make self-assignment work: a grounded theory study in Empirical Software Engineering, 25(6), pp.4962-5005, 2020 [doi.org/10.1007/s10664-020-09876-x]
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, and Kelly Blincoe, Adapting agile practices in university contexts, in Journal of Systems and Software, 144, pp.501-510, 2018 [doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.07.011]
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, Kelly Blincoe, Exploring Workflow Mechanisms and Task Allocation Strategies in Agile Software Teams, Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming, Springer, pp. 267-273, 2017 [doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-57633-6_19]
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, Kelly Blincoe, Motivation for Self-Assignment: Factors Agile Developers Consider, Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering (CHASE), Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), Buenos Aires, 2017 [10.1109/CHASE.2017.18]
- Zainab Masood and Rashina Hoda, Math Tutor: An Interactive Android-Based Numeracy Application for Primary Education. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth Australasian User Interface Conference (AUIC2014), Auckland, January 2014 [hdl.handle.net/2292/37228]
Publications (In Progress)
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, and Kelly Blincoe, What Drives and Sustains Self-Assignment in Agile Teams submitted to IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 2020 [Under Revisions]
- Paramvir Singh, Rashina Hoda, and Zainab Masood, Teaching Agile Software Development in Higher Education: A Systematic Literature Review submitted to ACM Transactions on Computing Education, 2020 [Under Revisions]
- Zainab Masood, Rashina Hoda, Kelly Blincoe, and Daniella Damian, What Makes Tasks (Un)desirable for Developers to be submitted to Information and Software Technology, June 2021 [Under Preparation]
Feel free to contact me on via email at
My Research Projects